Google Display Network (GDN)
Rockerbox can apply click tracking to GDN ads automatically.
Impression tracking cannot be applied manually, and will require you to reach out to your Google rep to assist with imlementation.
Note that impression tracking is not permitted by AdWords for Discovery campaigns.
- In order to implement the impression pixel, you’ll need to submit a request to Google. Google requires that all requests are submitted in an Excel file in the process described here.
- This process will need to be repeated each time you launch new GDN campaigns or ad groups.
- Use the base pixel below, and append the required additional parameters to the end of the base pixel.
- Either follow the steps in the Using Google's Template section, OR follow the steps in the Creating Your Own Template section. Google will accept either process.
- Confirm that tracking is applied to all your ads using the Advertising Platforms page. More info on QAing your tracking can be found here.
Required Additional Pixel Parameters
Using Google's Template
- Download Google’s Excel template for a 1x1 pixel here and go to the second tab.
- In cell A3, select Ad Group ID.
- In cell B3, select equals.
- In cell C3, input your Ad Group ID. Keep these values unique. Google will reject requests with duplicate values.
- In cell D3, select Campaign ID.
- In cell E3, select equals.
- In cell F3, input your Campaign ID.
- Paste the Base Pixel and the Required Additional Parameters in column J.
- Replace the entire bracketed portions, including the brackets themselves, with the appropriate values from your GDN ad groups and campaigns that are in columns C and F.
- Repeat steps 2-9 for all Campaign - Ad Group combinations. The finished product should have all finalized impression pixels in column J for Google to implement. The final impression pixels in column J should look like:https://metrics.getrockerbox.com/track/gdn?source=[CLIENT NAME FROM BASE PIXEL]&tier_one=gdn&tier_two=123456789&tier_three=987654321&auction_id=%%CACHEBUSTER%%
Creating Your Own Template
- Create headers in Row 1 of your Excel or Google Drive file as below
Ad Group ID
Your Base Pixel
Impression Tracking Pixel
- Paste your base pixel into the Your Base Pixel column in Row 2
- Paste the formula below into the Impression Tracking Pixel column in Row 2
- Paste all of your Ad Group IDs and their parent Campaign IDs in the first two columns. Keep these values unique. Google will reject any pixel implementation requests that contain duplicates.
- Drag down the Your Base Pixel and Impression Tracking Pixel columns. You should see the impression tracking pixels being generated for each row.